Founded in 1852 by Trinity Lutheran Church, Woodward Hill Cemetery is one of Lancaster's significant historic sites. The cemetery was the largest and most elaborate of the new "rural" cemeteries established in the mid- nineteenth century, designed as vital open space, allowing for recreation as well as veneration of the dead.
The final resting place of many notable clergy, veterans, education, civic and business leaders, Woodward Hill's best known grave site belongs to James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States.
The cemetery occupies 32 acres and contains approximately 13,750 graves. In 2005 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (see About: The Cemetery).
Today, Woodward Hill Cemetery operates as an active non-profit cemetery, governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Traditional as well as Cremains burial options are available, information is available on the Burial Services page.